Saturday, May 26, 2018

Writing #4


I read from I'm Kristen's writing once that the moment you made your vows during your wedding ceremony, you would instantly feel married.
Looking back at our engagement/proposal photo, I do feel and see that--the instantaneous effect of the efficacy of the performative act of the proposal ceremony itself. It goes beyond the ritual and symbolism to effect a change in who we are. We were no longer just boyfriend and girlfriend. I said yes to him, promising that I would be on the road of preparing to get married to him. My face glowed, so did his without us putting on more makeup or a different outfit. We simply CHANGED. We were now engaged: fiance and fiancee.

This makes me think about the efficacy of God's salvation. When we laid down our self-righteousness to repent and turn to God for redemption, the moment we accepted Christ, we took on a new identity and our lives are not the same anymore. It's that instantaneous.

Even though everything had changed, a lot still remained the same and I had to claim this identity and remember who I am as I leave the Botanic Gardens on that wonderfully fairytale-like night, walking in the garden under the bright moonlight. "Dancing in the moonlight" came to mind while walking on the windy path next to the soft green grass. The Narnia-like lamps dotting the path, reminding me of Emmanuel--God with us. It was a night that changed me, even though I saw it coming. I am thankful for the effort Nick put into making the proposal one to remember for years to come, and grateful that our good friends Vins and Bert made the time to be there to capture the memories for us (as I am someone who treasures photos a lot).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...